Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 2 - and loving my life

I wake up, and my fairytale continues....

Let me be clear, it's definitely a happy life, but there are still things, like not being able to sleep last night and waking up cranky, that are part of everyones normal day, once in awhile.

Mr. P and I have this thing, when the alarm goes off, we hit snooze, then I lay my head on his chest for the duration of the next snooze, then we wake up and get out of bed.  (most mornings!)  Well, this morning, I rolled over and said "no". I immediately felt bad.  My lack of sleep wasn't his fault, and yet I took it out on him.  And although he didn't say anything, I knew I hurt his feelings.  I rolled over and lay my head on his chest, and we both remained silent.

This is something I learned from my many years of being an adult.  It's not rocket science, but sometimes there are things you say or do that you regret.  It is imperative, I mean IMPERATIVE that you rectify the situation as quickly as possible.  Don't hold out, don't be too proud, don't be stupid.  I never understood this, or maybe I didn't care, with my previous relationships to take a moment and realize how I made my partner feel.  Granted, it helps when your partner actually treats you as though you are someone important in their life.  But still, one should never behave that way, right?  At least that is what my mother always taught me.

I feel a persons childhood can shape them for the rest of their lives.  It is a learning experience that we need to remember and take with us each day.  And cherish.  Whether it was good or  bad, it is still information that we can use to help us navigate our futures.  I thought my family was the best family in the world.  I had a loving Mom and Dad, and 3 big brothers whom I adored.  Certain events took place, I lost my mother to cancer when I was 15, and my dad to a heart attack at the age of 17.  Needless to say, my world was turned upside down.  But this blog isn't about how I lost my way after that.....because I obviously found it again.  But my point is that even though one goes through a huge loss like that, they can still come out of it ok.  It took awhile.  A very long while.  But each day I am grateful for what I have and for what I have learned.

I have always had this need to help people. Perhaps it started when my mom took my fellow dancers and I around to the nursing homes to put on performances.  I remember one time there was one patient who couldn't make it to the rec room, as both of her legs were amputated and it was too difficult to move her. She requested I dance for her in her room.  I was 8.  I straightened my tutu, and took my little portable record player into her room.  I set it up, plugged it in, put on my record of Beethoven's Classics and proceeded to dance for her in her little room, as my mom looked on with pride.

It was at that moment, when I realized that helping others, was truly.....a good thing.   I'll get to my point, I promise.

Until next time!  And again, thank you for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment